Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Home

It's been a long day. A good day but a long day. I left at 7:30am got back at 8:10pm. It went late cause I had a grand time exploring the TMC with Lauren. I rode my bike home and as I stood by the crosswalk a car went by and some random person yelled lewd comments at me as I stood waiting to cross. I calmly acted as though he did not exist. But several thoughts went through my head...

1. What is wrong with the human race?
2. Get a life.
3. Thank the Lord for Jesus Christ. And the esteem I have through being His daughter.

Anyways, to veer from that subject. I was supposed to meet a classmate at noon to discuss questions for a discussion we're leading tomorrow for a class. She didn't show. I emailed and tried to call. I haven't heard a thing. Thankfully I have a feel for what we're doing and it's not a huge deal. But...HELLO...what is wrong with people? Just don't show up.....She doesn't even know me. It truly astonishes me sometimes. She probably forgot and whatever, that's fine but I simply go crazy if I am not prepared for a class. Anyways, it'll be fine. I'm prepared.


So I'm doing a book report on a book which is called Lipstick Jihad and its a lady's memoir of growing up Iranian in America and then living in Iran as an Iranian American. It was very interesting from many different points of view. But basically she was describing her quest to finding belonging. She's not American and she's not Iranian. She didn't know what was home.


It was kind of interesting because I don't know where home is anymore either. SAU is my home. And my parents in NY are my home. My cats and grandparents are my home. My friends make a home. My brother makes home and he is across the world. Where is home? I've been missing home a lot the past couple weeks. I've been missing the weather and just the security of home. I talked to my grandma and she sounded lonely and I wanted to go and visit her and cheer her up. I wanted to sit on my backporch wrapped in a blanket with my cat on my lap in the chilly autumn dusk. My mother would be sitting in the other chair. And we'd chit chat about life. Then I would go inside and drink some hot cider and listen to a baseball game with my father. Then I would go to my room and fall asleep to the sounds of....nothingness. And my cat would be curled at the end of my bed. I miss a NY Autumn. It's so beautiful. We'd always buy cider from our neighbor who has a cider press. So it'd be fresh and amazing. I remember racking leaves and making a pile and just lying in it, smelling the dry leaves. Something random and silly: when I was in elementary school we'd always make a LLBean order in August before school started. I had a yearning for LLBean the other day. lol

I'm having a great time in SMA. I'm doing a bulletin board and we're going to have faculty trivia with people guessing what faculty did very odd and random things. I'm excited.

Psi Chi is having a car wash Sunday. I can't say I'm rip roaring excited. But hey, it'll be a first. I've never worked a car wash before. So yea, come on out and support Psi Chi at the Brock parking lot! Whoo hoo! lol

I have a cold. Last night I felt pretty horrible. My head felt like it was going to explode. I took some unmarked medicine that Bekah had and eventually fell asleep. I feel better today, sniffly but not too bad. I'm excited about going to sleep early.

Anyways, those are my thoughts for this evening.

2 comments:

Christy Joy said...

You're reading Lipstick Jihad!? I wrote a paper on that last year. What class are you reading it for?

I liked your collection of thoughts.

honest, raw, real: my favorite

love ya. maybe we'll get to hang out this weekend.

HUGS

Unknown said...

It's for Natives and Strangers- hist/soci class.