Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our Author

So much I am realizing that our entire Christian experiences really have absolutely nothing to do with us. This verse was pointed to me today by a venerable professor: Hebrews 12:2, "looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith....." I've read this many a time but today I thought about it a little more than usual. This venerable professor then wrote on the board, "Faith is not in our ability to hold on to God but in God's ability to hold on to us." My first reaction is to disagree. Do we not need to hold on to God? But then I realize. I cannot of myself hold on to God. I am too weak. Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith. Our faith is not what we do. It's what we allow God to do. Jesus gives us faith. It's all about Him. Why is it we always feel like we have to do something? "I'll toughen up and have faith through this!" We feel like faith is an action. But I don't think it is. It's a God-given attitude that only God can manifest in us as we know Him. It's about giving up ourselves: our pride, our wills.Thats all we do-empty self and just let God in. And even letting God in is about Him because only He can break down the barriers and give us the desire to know Him. We're just clay which lets itself be molded. We just have to pray to be willing. The Christian experience is about submission- real submission to our Savior. Jesus is the author. Our lives are His story. That is my conclusion.

1 comment:

Leslie Ann . . . said...

Amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing yoru thoughts.