Friday, June 6, 2008

Dye- For Danielle

I had an interesting dream last night. Kinda goes along with the thoughts of everyone's different perspectives on life. In my dream I was some other ethnicity and wearing semi-traditional clothes. I was either Muslim or Hindu I would guess. And I was engaged to a man of the same ethnicity. I and this man were shopping in a modern strip mall. I presume it was in the United States. Every time I and my engaged would walk outside to go to another store I would take his arm and he would hold my hand firmly as if to steel me from the looks of others. Every time we walked out it was as if a front was put up and we proudly walked to wherever we were going. At the end of the dream his father came and picked us up in his car. The father was wearing even more traditional attire. It was an interesting and peculiar dream.

Anyways! What have I been up to lately? Well. I dyed two shirts. I should have taken pictures of the entire process but I didn't think of it till I was nearly done. I did it on the stove top. First I used a color remover. Then washed them. Then I dyed them. Rinsed them out and washed them again. The only picture I have is of our pink bathtub as I was rinsing the shirts out. Rinsing them took the longest part of the process. I may never throw away a stained shirt that I like again. I will dye it.




Other than that I have gone down to my grandma's nearly every day to help out. We planted 48 tomato plants and I have been setting out her flowers around her house. She always has a plan of how she wants the flowers set out: in a certain pattern. I've been somewhat cooking as well. I say somewhat cause it's always desserts. I've read a few books. Watched a bunch of National Geographics. (Learned about archeology in Afghanistan, the FBI since 9/11, the remaining monarchies of the world, and the search for Kennedy's sunken torpedo boat.) And spent too much time online. I also finally got around to playing my flute yesterday. I should do that more. This coming week I need to think about camp more. I want to have a bunch of worship thoughts ready, especially for the teen week. I think I've been in denial that camp is coming. But alas, it is nearly here.

I wanted to write about my lovely experience last night of wandering around in the fields at dusk. But that deserves a blog of its own and more thought so that will come later.

It's very muggy today: going to be near 90 degrees. Ah, perhaps summer has arrived. I should go make some lemonade.

Postscript:

By popular demand, here is the dyed shirt. Sadly you have no original to compare it to, but you can see it turned out nice.

6 comments:

Christy Joy said...

I know! isn't it crazy how hot it is! I can't believe it.

Can you post a picture of the finished product of your shirt? I think it's such a cool idea.

I hope everyone else is as good as you when it comes to thinking up worships for camp. I'm going to send you an e-mail with each days theme so you can plan your worships accordingly if you want.

LOVE YOU LORRIE!

Unknown said...

well I should have taken before and after pictures. Cause all it looks like now is a raspberry pink shirt. The original was pink/purple with a bunch of stains on the front. I just dyed it solid.

<3

Leslie Ann . . . said...

How very crafty of you! I finished a scarf last night and am now working on a plum-colored one now that I began early last year. The pattern looks like basketweave. I put the photo of the scarf I just completed in my FB photo album for Crafts.

What color should I make the afghan for you and your betrothed (as in your dream . . . ) Pink and . . . ??? :)

Leslie Ann . . . said...

And, yes, we would like to see a photo of the finished product. Silly you . . .

Danielle said...

Wow this is so great! I am excited for your experience at camp. I will have to live my camp experience through you, since I don't think I'll be getting one. This was great.

Christy Joy said...

very nice! i want to go through my shirts now and see if i can find any with stains!!!!! lol